When A Court Order Needs To Be Modified

Leaving the courtroom at the conclusion of a divorce or child custody case, you may have a sense of finality about the decree or court order you carry away with you. However, life can be unpredictable. When either party experiences a significant change in circumstances, there may be cause to bring the family law order before a judge again.

It may be appropriate to request a modification of a divorce decree or a child custody and support order when:

  • Hidden assets have been discovered after property division was decided in a divorce
  • A former spouse receiving spousal support remarries or enters a domestic partnership
  • A custodial parent needs to move out of town
  • A noncustodial parent contests a proposed move-away
  • A custodial parent has become unfit for parenting
  • Job responsibilities have changed significantly — such as when a military parent is deployed or work schedules of a pilot, flight attendant or emergency room doctor vary greatly
  • Either parent has had a significant increase or decrease in income or expenses
  • A special situation involving a child — such as an injury, illness or disability — means more child support is needed than when the child support order was formalized

What has led you to explore the possibility of a court order modification after your California family law case has been finalized? Talk to an experienced family law attorney at Mohajer Law Firm, APC in Arcadia to discuss your options.

Consult A Family Law Firm That Will Work With You And For You

Attorney Sina Mohajer has guided many clients in the greater Los Angeles area in critical family law matters such as modifications. Call 626-999-3785, or complete the online contact form to request a free consultation with an experienced lawyer.