Building Top

Suing for emotional distress is possible with an attorney's help

While many people don't believe it's possible, you can actually sue for another person hurting your emotional state. Through civil litigation, it's possible to seek compensation for the intentional infliction of emotional distress (IIED.)

It isn't always simple to prove IIED, so you'll need to work with someone familiar with suing for emotional distress. Some of the things that you and your attorney will need to prove include that:

  • The defendant was acting recklessly or intentionally to cause the distress
  • The conduct was outrageous or extreme
  • The act was the reason for your emotional distress
  • You suffer from severe emotional distress as a result of the actions of the defendant

There are a few different examples of how IIED can happen. This one is in a medical setting. Imagine a doctor is talking to you and about to perform an in-office treatment. If you mention that you're in pain during the procedure, and the provider tells you to "stop being a baby" or curses at you, you may have a case against them for distress and malpractice.

In a work environment, you might be able to file a lawsuit for IIED if your employer takes a photo of you, manipulates it and shares it to the point where you're constantly harassed by co-workers.

Overall, the court needs to see that the actions leading up to your emotional distress were not your everyday events. They need to be extreme, unusual, threatening and potentially harmful to you. Your attorney can help you build your case to show why you feel you should be awarded compensation.

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information
Email Us For A Response

How Can Flexible, Personal
Service Benefit Your Legal

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

Mohajer Law Firm, APC

Mohajer Law Firm, APC
33 E. Huntington Dr.
Suite A
Arcadia, CA 91006

Phone: 626-999-3785
Fax: 844-569-5252
Arcadia Law Office Map

Review Us